COOTE, Rev. Sir Algernon, 11th Bt, 1620
Premier Bt of Ireland.
Born 29 September 1817; son of Sir Charles Henry Coote, 9th Bt; succeeded
brother 1895; married 1st, 1847, Cecilia (died 1878), only daughter of J. P.
Plumptre, Fredville, Kent; five sons one daughter (and one son decd); 2nd, 1879,
Constance, daughter of T. D. Headlam, Tunbridge Wells; two daughters.
Eton; Brasenose Coll. Oxford.
Rector of Marsh Gibbon, 1844-1856; Vicar of Nonington, 1856-1871; author of
Twelve Sermons preached in Ballyfinn Church, 1896-1897. Owned about
Son Algernon Charles Plumptre Coote, born 14 December 1847.
Ballyfinn, Mountrath, Ireland; Wavertree, Tunbridge Wells.
Died 20 November 1899
The 11th Bart.
(Rev) Sir Algernon Coote, (11th Bart.) brother of the 10th Bart, was born 1817. He married, first in 1847, Cecilia Matilda Plumptre, daughter of John Pemberton Plumptre of Fredville, Kent, by whom he had 6 sons: Algernon Charles Plumptre, born 1847; Charles Methuen, born 1849, who entered the Church; John Pemberton Plumptre, born 1850, who joined the Navy; Orlando Robert, born 1855, who was founder/manager of, and captain and player for Athlone Town FC., (he was also referee at times!), and was JP for Roscommon; Cecil Henry, born 1856, who went to New Zealand; and Herbert Chidley, born 1861, who also entered the Church, and 2 daughters, Cecilia Caroline (who died aged 3) and Catharine Cecilia born 1865, who married Rev. A. de Vlieger (author of "Coote Family"). His first wife died in 1878, and he married second, in 1879,
Constance Headlam, daughter of T.D.Headlam of Tunbridge Wells, by whom he had one son,
Ernest Headlam, who died in 1889 shortly after birth, and two daughters: Cecilia
Constance, born 1880; and Dora Maud, born 1882.
Cecil Henry Coote's eldest son John Cecil Coote distinguished himself as a New Zealand officer in France in World War 1 by wiping out single-handed with Lewis gun and grenades a German strongpoint held by 35-40 men during the advance to Bapaume in August 1918. This heroic deed was observed and noted down by a British Army major, who was unfortunately killed before he could forward his recommendation for a Victoria Cross, which John Cecil would undoubtedly have received.
The Rev. Sir Algernon was educated at Eton, and Brasenose College, Oxford, and entered the Church, as also did two of his sons, Charles Methuen and Herbert Chidley. He held a succession of incumbencies, mainly in Buckinghamshire and Kent.
Despite the acknowledged bachelordom of his eldest brother Sir Charles Henry, the 10th Bart., and the earlier death of his next eldest brother, John Chidley, he never seems to have been cut out to be the 11th Bart. He therefore arrived at Ballyfin in 1895 to take up residence with little actual aptitude for the job of major Irish landlord. However, his clerical background inclined him to good works and social responsibility. He was Secretary of the Irish Church Missions, and published 3 volumes of sermons preached in Ballyfin Church in 1898/9, and collected and published "Hymns for Social Meetings and Family Worship". He wrote and edited for private issue, "Memorials of a Mother", being an account of the illness and death of his first wife. His second wife, Constance, wrote and published 2 hymns in "The Church Hymnal for the Christian Year", which are still in use in the "Anglican Hymnbook". However, to judge from such of his letters as survive, and his will, he had firm ideas, brooked no argument, and had a good Victorian social conscience.
Life at Ballyfin was conducted under strict religious and temperance principles, with daily prayers and no drink. It must have been like an enormous Rectory, and rather dull. The hall visitors book is full of the names of visiting clerics, and the local gentry must have only called out of a sense of social responsibility. The impression is that he was slightly out of place in the opulence of Ballyfin and its social ambiance.
In 1897 he was High Sheriff of Queens County, but his main local claim to fame was his donation in 1898 shortly before his death of a costly and ornate water fountain in the Mountrath market place and a mains water supply for the town. Although a nominal charge was made for the supply to the residents, over the years so many clandestinely connected themselves to the system that the pressure fell so far as to render it unworkable, and it was sold off to the local plumber, who had been trying to maintain it, for a nominal 5/- in 1957.
The Rev. Sir Algernon died in 1899 at Ballyfin, having only been at Ballyfin for four years, and was buried in Ballyfin churchyard. An extensive account of the funeral, and obituaries from the Leinster Express and other papers can be found in "The Coote Family", so will not be repeated here.
Born 1874, died 16th March 1959, married to Horace Edward Headlam,
14th June 1909.
Born in 1874 in Norfolk, Mary Corbett was the daughter of
Admiral Sir John Corbett, an amateur artist whose topographical watercolours
made on his voyages of the 1850s and 60s show a very fair degree of
competence. On Sir John’s death in l893, his widow moved to Cambridge where
in l906, she became the tenant Sir George and Lady Darwin. Encouraged by her
father, Mary entered the Slade School of Art in l892, and after her
studentship she remained in London. Records of her career at the Slade are
scant, presumably she left in 18966 and certainly by 1896 she was submitting
to the New English Art Club - One of the few bodies with whom she is known to
Mary met Horace Headlam who she married in 1909, through Cambridge
connections: Horace's brother Maurice and Mary’s brother William were
both fellows of Kings and Horace was a classics scholar at the
University. Despite graduating well, and subsequently making a good showing in
the Civil Service examinations, Horace eschewed the trophies of the
Foreign or Home Services in favour of the Public Records Office where he was
able to combine his official duties with the pleasurable task of tending the
Office gardens. After their marriage and until Horace’s retirement
the Headlams lived mainly in London and Mary continued to send in watercolours
to the NEAC often of views from their flat in Westminster. Following Horace’s
death in the 1930s Mary took a short recuperative cruise to the West Indies
where, in an outburst of activity inspired by the exotic landscape, she
produced some of her most memorable work. On her return to England Mary lived
in Chelsea until a war time raid on her fiat forced her to move; she went to
Devon to be near a favourite brother, and remained there until his death in
l954 when she went back to London. There she took a flat in Warwick Square
where she lived until her death in 1959. The foregoing facts which outline a
conventional regular existence, and the picture of Mary which emerges from
family recollections - as a firm but loving aunt and indefatigable worker -
somewhat belies the expressive intensity of much of her art.
With only the barest of professional details it is not easy to reconstruct
a cohesive picture of Mary's career. She entered the Slade the same year as
Ethel Walker (who became a life long friend) and the year Fred Brown was
appointed to the Professorship; there is no record of her having been awarded
any prizes during her studentship. She left the Slade the year Gwen John
entered, and soon afterwards began her submissions to the NEAC. Several of the
images in this exhibition are illustrations for literary works and more
particularly for the stories of Hans Christian Andersen; in the early 1900s
Mary exhibited several of these at the NEAC and also submitted them for
publication to various publishing houses. According to her niece, she wanted
the illustrations to be published in colour and when no one she approached
would agree to this on grounds of cost, she refused to allow them to be used
in black and white. This would certainly account for the high degree of finish
to be found in many of the illustrations. Her work is known to of been
published to ‘The Magic City’ by Netta Syrett, and ‘Kilmeny’ by James
A pattern was established by Mary in the early years of the century for a
working life which did not have to submit to the pressures or regular
commissions or sales, but was allowed to develop at its own pace. This is not
to deny however, that certain very definite influences are present in Mary
Headlam's art. She is known to have been a great admirer of Turner and to have
taken an avid interest in the various exhibitions of French Impressionist art
which were held in London during the early decades of the century.
The watercolours of the same period painted in and around West Chiltington,
Sussex, where the Headlams had retired, expand the landscape and permit a
freer sense of design to articulate the compositions.
The lush tropical landscape of Jamaica is a far cry from rural England -
but it was on her visit to the West Indies in 1937 that Mary produced some of
her most evocative watercolours, and it was there that her art found its most
perfect landscape counterpart.
If the West Indian journey emerges as a high peak in Mary Headlam’s
career it should not eclipse her achievements prior to, and following it. Back
in England, living first in Chelsea and after the war in Devon, Mary continued
to paint and, following her long established practice, worked time and time
again from the same or a similar motif. Chelsea gardens or the distinctive
coastline at Kingwear are handled with the consistency of vision which
informed the illustrations of the early 1900s and the landscapes of the 20s
and 30s, and the unerring ability to summon up the spirit of the place which
distinguished her work in the 1980 exhibition is ever present.
Extracts taken from a Mary Headlam art exhibition catalogue, held in Sheffield
City Art Galleries in the 1980's. Written by Anne Goodchild.
1. Mary Headlam at her Etching Press, by Ronald Gay
2. Mandeville, Jamaica 1936
5. Sheet of Bird Studies
CROSSLEY, Anthony Crommelin
MP (U) Oldham, 1931-1935, and Stretford since 1935.
Only son of Sir Kenneth Crossley, Bt; born 13 August 1903; married 1927, Clare,
daughter of Brig. Alan Fortescue Thomson; one son two daughters.
Parliamentary Private Secretary to Col C. M. Headlam, DSO, MP,
Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Transport, 1932-1934, and to Captain
A. U. Hudson, MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Transport,
Poetry-Prophets, Gods and Witches, 1929; Tragedy under Lucifer, 1931; From One
Vagabond to Another, 1935; Prose-History of Eton College Hunt, 1921; Chinwag:
The War Record of the Eton Manor Clubs; The Floating Line for Salmon and Sea
Fly fishing, hunting, tennis, lawn tennis.
26 Mallord Street, SW3 .
Died 15 August 1939
GAINFORD, 1st Baron of Headlam, created 1917; Joseph Albert Pease
PC, 1908; JP, DL.
Deputy Chairman of the Durham Coal Owners Association and Vice-Chairman of the
Durham District Board (under Mines Act 1930); Director of Pease and Partners,
Ltd; and other Colliery Companies; Chairman of Durham Coke Owners; Director of
the County of London Electric Supply Company, Ltd; Chairman of South London
Electric Supply Coy; late Chairman of the Tees Fishery Board; Chairman of the
Trustees of the Bowes Museum.
Born Darlington, 17 January 1860; 2nd son of Sir Joseph W. Pease, 1st Bart, MP,
Hutton Hall Guisbro', and Mary, daughter of Alfred Fox, Falmouth; married 1886,
Ethel (died 1941), only daughter of Sir Henry Havelock-Allan, 1st Bt; one son
Tottenham School; Trinity College, Cambridge (MA).
Darlington Mayor, 1889; Private Secretary (unpaid) to Rt Hon. John Morley, Chief
Secretary of Ireland, 1893-1895; MP (L) Tyneside Division, Northumberland,
1892-1900; one of the Junior Whips to the Opposition, 1897-1905; a Junior Lord
of the Treasury, 1905-1908; Patronage Secretary to Treasury, 1908-1910; MP (L)
Saffron Walden Division, Essex, 1901-1910; Chancellor Duchy of Lancaster,
1910-1911; President of Board of Education, 1911-1915; Postmaster-General, 1916;
MP (L) Rotherham Div., WR Yorks, 1910-1916; on Claims Commission in France,
1915, 1917-1920, and in Italy, 1918-1919; Chairman of the British Broadcasting
Co. Ltd, 1922-1926, Vice-Chairman, 1926-1932; President of Federation British
Sundry leaflets and pamphlets on Imperial Finance, Irish Affairs, Slavery in
British Protectorates, the Coal Industry, etc.
Golf, fishing, shooting, etc.
Son Hon. Joseph Pease, TD.
18 Mansfield Street, Cavendish Square, W1 . Telephone: Langham 2816; Headlam
Hall, Gainford, SO, Co. Durham. Telephone: Gainford 207.
Brooks's, Turf, MCC.
Died 15 February 1943
Pease, Joseph Albert, first Baron Gainford 1860-1943, politician and man of
business, was born at Woodlands, Darlington, 17 January 1860, the younger son of
(Sir) Joseph Whitwell Pease [q.v.]. He was educated at Tottenham Grove House, a
Quakers' school, and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was captain of the
football team, played polo against Oxford, was twelfth man for the university
cricket eleven, and master of the university draghounds. He always remained a
genuine sportsman. He was a first-class shot, a keen fisherman and rider to
hounds; very few could show him the way across country and he twice won the
After an early entry into the family iron and coal business with which he was
associated all his life, Pease served in 1889 as mayor of Darlington, the
youngest mayor in England, and in 1892 he won as a Liberal the Tyneside division
of Northumberland which he represented until 1900. An active and popular member
of Parliament, he was private secretary (1893-5) to John (later Viscount) Morley
[q.v.], chief secretary for Ireland, and in 1897 he became a junior whip for his
party while it was in opposition.
From 1901 to January 1910, when he was defeated, Pease sat for the Saffron
Walden division of Essex and thereafter for the Rotherham division of the West
Riding of Yorkshire. His speeches on finance, opium, and African slavery
attracted attention; on the formation of the Campbell-Bannerman Government in
1905 he was made a junior lord of the Treasury, and under Asquith (1908) was
promoted to be chief whip and was sworn of the Privy Council.
In 1910 Pease was appointed chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster with a seat in
the Cabinet, and in the following year president of the Board of Education, a
post which he retained until the coalition Government was formed in 1915. His
love of children fitted him to do much good work in this office, helping the new
health service in schools, improving the training of teachers, and laying the
foundations of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.
During and after the war of 1914-18 he served as a member of the Claims
Commissions in France and Italy, and he was postmaster-general from January to
December 1916. In the following year he was raised to the peerage as Baron
Gainford, of Headlam, county Durham, after having sat for twenty-four years in
the House of Commons; he was to sit for twenty-six in the House of Lords.
During all these years Jack Pease, as he was affectionately known to his
friends, had maintained his association with industry; and his advice and
knowledge were of wide and practical value. In 1922 he was chosen as a
disinterested chairman of the British Broadcasting Company and was vice-chairman
(1926-32) after it became a public corporation. In 1927 he was president of the
Federation of British Industries and in 1932 of the National Confederation of
Employers' Organisations. In the House of Lords he spoke on the Post Office,
education, the coal and iron industries, and broadcasting.
Pease was a sound Liberal, a loyal colleague, an experienced negotiator, and a
fine sportsman. He had a frank, courteous manner, and his speeches were
straightforward and honest. Everyone liked him. In character he was modest and
fair-minded, adhering to his Quaker principles, a kind-hearted and competent man
of affairs. In his fine Adam house in Mansfield Street he entertained his many
friends, and he kept up his country interests to the end.
In 1886 Pease married Ethel (died 1941), daughter of Sir Henry Marshman
Havelock-Allan [q.v.]; they had one son and two daughters. He died at Headlam
Hall 15 February 1943 and was succeeded as second baron by his son, Joseph (born
1889). A portrait by P. A. de László is in the possession of the family.
The Times, 16 February 1943; private information; personal knowledge.
GAINFORD, 2nd Baron of Headlam, created 1917; Joseph Peace;
Retired Major, Lovat Scouts.
Born 8 March 1889; only son of 1st Baron and Ethel (died 1941), only daughter of
Sir Henry Havelock-Allan, 1st Bt; succeeded father, 1943; married 1921,
Veronica, only child of Sir George Noble, 2nd Bt; three sons.
Son Hon. Joseph Edward Pease [born 25 December 1921; married 1953, Margaret
Theophila Radcliffe, daughter of late H. E. G. Tyndale, Winchester Coll. and of
Mrs Tyndale, 60 Lansdowne Road, W11; two daughters].
Duntaynish, Tayvallich, Argyll. Telephone: Tayvallich 275.
Died 23 September 1971
GREENHOW, Edward Headlam
1814-1888, physician, born in North Shields in 1814, was grandson of E. M.
Greenhow, M.D., of North Shields, and was nephew of T. M. Greenhow, M.D.,
F.R.C.S. (1791-1881), surgeon for many years to the Newcastle Infirmary, a
notable operator and sanitary reformer (see British Medical Journal, 1881, ii.
He studied medicine at Edinburgh and Montpelier, and practised for eighteen
years in partnership with his father in North Shields and Tynemouth. In 1852 he
graduated M.D. at Aberdeen, and in 1853 settled in London.
From 1854 he frequently reported on epidemics and questions of public health
to the board of health and the privy council, and he served on several royal
commissions. In 1855 he was appointed lecturer on public health at St. Thomas's
Hospital; joining the medical school of the Middlesex Hospital as assistant
physician and joint lecturer on medical jurisprudence in 1861, he became full
physician to the hospital in 1870, lecturer on medicine in 1871, and consulting
physician in 1870.
In 1875 he delivered the Croonian lectures at the Royal College of Physicians
on Addison's disease. The Clinical Society was founded in 1867 mainly by his
exertions; he was its treasurer from the commencement to 1879, when he became
president. He was a zealous and successful teacher and investigator, and an
excellent and thorough-going man of business.
He was twice married, first in 1842 to the widow of W. Barnard, esq. (she
died in 1857, leaving one son, the Rev. Edward Greenhow); and secondly to Eliza,
daughter of Joseph Hume, M.P. (she died in 1878, leaving two daughters).
Greenhow retired in 1881 to Reigate, Surrey, and died suddenly at Charing Cross
Station on 22 Nov. 1888 on his return from a meeting of the pension commutation
board, to which he was medical officer.
Greenhow wrote: 1. 'On Diphtheria,' 1860. 2. 'On Addison's Disease,' 1866. 3.
'On Chronic Bronchitis,' 1869. 4. 'Croonian Lectures on Addison's Disease,'
1875. 5. 'On Bronchitis and the Morbid Conditions connected with it,' 1878. He
also prepared the following parliamentary reports: 'The different Proportions of
Deaths from certain Diseases in different Districts in England and Wales,' 1858,
an especially valuable memoir; 'On the Prevalence and Causes of Diarrhea in
certain Towns;' 'Districts with Excessive Mortality from Lung Diseases;'
'Excessive Mortality of Young Children among Manufacturing Populations,'
appendix to 'Report of Medical Officer of Privy Council,' 1859-61. Many papers
by Greenhow appeared in the medical journals.
Lancet, 1888, ii. 1104-6.
G. T. B.
LITTLE, Dr Thomas William Anthony
Director and Chief Executive, Central Veterinary Laboratory, Ministry of
Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, since 1990.
Born 27 June 1940; son of Thomas Lowden Little and Marjorie Annie Little;
married 1st, 1963 (marr. diss.); one son one daughter; 2nd, 1985, Sally Anne
Headlam; two sons.
Dame Allan's Sch., Newcastle upon Tyne; Edinburgh Univ. (BVMS); London Univ.
(Dip. Bact., PhD). MRCVS 1963.
General veterinary practice, March, Cambs, 1963-66; joined MAFF, 1966; Central
Vet. Lab., Weybridge, 1966-82, Sen. Res. Officer 1973-82; Dep. Regl Vet.
Officer, 1982-85, Vet. Head of Section, 1985-86, Tolworth; Dep. Dir, Central
Vet. Lab., 1986-90.
Contribs to veterinary jls and text books.
Sailing, outdoor activities.
Central Veterinary Laboratory, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, New
Haw, Weybridge, Surrey KT15 3NB
MITCHELL, Dame Mona (Ann)
DCVO 1992 (CVO 1985; LVO 1976).
Extra Lady-in-Waiting to HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy,
Born 20 February 1938; daughter of Maj.-Gen. Francis Neville Mitchell, CB, CBE,
DSO and late Ann Christian Mitchell (née Livingstone-Learmouth; she married
2nd, 1962, Brig. Richard Headlam Keenlyside, CBE, DSO).
North Foreland Lodge.
Secretary to: Fulke Walwyn, 1958-62; E. Hardy Amies, 1963-68; Sec., 1968-74,
Private Sec., 1974-91, to HRH Princess Alexandra.
Gardening, music, the arts in general.
Valley Farm, Blackford, Yeovil, Somerset BA22 7EF. Telephone: North
Cadbury (01963) 440304.
Army and Navy
TOMLINSON, Sir George (John Frederick)
KCMG 1934; CBE 1928.
Hon. Fellow of School of Oriental and African Studies.
Born 1876; eldest son of G. W. Tomlinson, FSA; married 1914, Beatrix Violet
Headlam (Keenlyside) (died 1962), youngest daughter of F. H. Keenlyside, (Francis
Headlam Keenlyside) Barrister-at-law;
one daughter (one son decd).
Charterhouse; University College, Oxford, MA.
President Oxford Union; Barrister-at-law; Transvaal Education Department,
1903-1904; Nigerian Administrative Service, 1907-1928; seconded to Gold Coast as
Director of Education, 1910-1911; Acting Secretary for Native Affairs, Nigeria,
1925-1927; Lecturer in Hausa, School of Oriental Studies, 1928-1930; Member of
Committee on Colonial Appointments, 1929-1930; Assistant Under-Secretary of
State, Colonial Office, 1930-1939; Temp. Clerk, House of Commons, 1940-1944.
the Governing Bodies of Charterhouse School, 1936-1954, and of the School of
Oriental and African Studies, 1940-1957.
Brunger, Tenterden, Kent. Telephone: Tenterden 463.
Died 23 January 1963.